Momma Lynn always made the best Red Velvet cake ever! She gave me her recipe, and I am sharing with you…but I promise, no one ever make this Red Velvet cake like her…NO ONE! 🙂
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 2oz Red Food Color
- 4 tsp Cocoa
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups Cake Flour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Mix vinegar and soda in cup and let set.
- Cream butter and sugar and beaten eggs.
- Make a paste of the cocoa and a little of the red food coloring. Add to the creamed mixture. Then add the balance of the red food coloring.
- Mix together the flour and salt. Then add the flour mixture alternately to the creamed, starting and ending with the flour.
- Add vanilla then add the vinegar and soda mixture and mix well. Pour into 2 large cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool thoroughly. Then slice each layer in half horizontally, creating 4 layers of cake.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cook the milk & flour until thick. Stir constantly. Cool.
- Cream the butter & sugar until fluffy. Add the Vanilla.
- Add one tablespoon at a time of the milk mixture to the butter mixture while the mixer is running. Once the first tablespoon is well mixed in add the next. Do not turn off the mixer. Once all the milk mixture has been added beat on high for 2-4 minutes.
- If you like, cover the cake with a 7oz bag of Baker’s Angel Flake Coconut.